What are the symptoms of Omicron BA.4 and BA.5? If infected, will the infection really go into the lungs?
- How is the condition of Omicron BA.4 and BA.5? It’s like Delta right? How dangerous is it?
- To explain simply, it must be said that BA.4 and BA.5 are siblings of the Omicron strains of COVID. BA.1 and BA.2 are counted as additional mutated Omicron strains of COVID and Currently, BA.4 and BA.5 are classified as Variant of Concern lineages under monitoring (VOC-LUM) due to the increasing incidence of infection with subspecies BA.4 and BA.5 abroad. continuously
- In this regard, BA.4 and BA.5 have characteristics that are different from BA.2 as follows:
- There is a mutation in L452R, the same location where the mutation is found in the delta strain.
- have the ability to spread infection faster
- More resistant to human immunity
- more resistant to medication
- Symptoms of Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 from current information are not much different from other Omicron strains, the main ones are often fever, sore throat, cough, runny nose, etc.
- In this regard, Dr. Anan Chongkaewwattana has revealed the symptoms of patients infected with Omicron BA.1, BA.4 and BA.5 collected by the French public health agency. It was found that overall, patients infected with BA. 4 and BA.5 symptoms were more pronounced than patients with first-generation omikron. The symptoms found in more than 50% of the cases are sorted in order:
have a fever
In addition, respiratory symptoms such as shortness of breath and difficulty breathing were also found. Including gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea in patients with BA.4 and BA.5 than the original omikron strains.
Omicron BA.4/BA.5 symptomswill be severe or will it go into the lungs?
- It is known that the subspecies BA.4 and BA.5 can escape immunity well. It is also mutated in the same location as the Delta strain. Therefore causing people to be somewhat apprehensive that if infected, there will be severe symptoms Or lung infection like Delta or not?
- about this issue There is information from many parties that agree that BA.4 and BA.5 reproduce faster. and cling to more lung cells than BA.2, so it may infect more lung tissue. and may make it easier for an infected person to develop pneumonia
- Corresponds to the Department of Medical Sciences The Ministry of Public Health has disclosed infection data between 2-22 July 2022. It was found that most of those infected with severe symptoms were pneumonia, tracheal intubation and death, most of them being infected with the BA.4/BA strain. 5 than BA.2. Therefore, it is assumed that if infected with BA.4/BA.5, it is likely to cause more severe symptoms than the strain BA.2, but how much more severe still needs to be collected.
while abroad whether the World Health Organization Or England has not concluded the severity of the disease. Only Japanese data showed that BA.4/BA.5 is immune-resistant and proliferates faster in human lung cells than BA.2. Trial sicker than BA.2
Keep an eye on BA.5 that is 3 times immune resistant.
in this outbreak Academics and public health related agencies They are more wary of the subspecies BA.5 than BA.4 due to the unusual trend of the omicron strain BA.5. And is going to become a mainstream species in the future Here are some interesting comments:
- Dr. Thira Woratanarat, Faculty of Medicine Chulalongkorn University revealed that the BA.5 subspecies of COVID has the ability to avoid immunity. Or immune resistance is about 3 times more than the senior like BA.1 and may have the ability to multiply higher than all strains. It is also more likely to infect lung cells. The mechanism of entry into cells is similar to that of Delta strains. reflecting a tendency to induce more lower respiratory tract infections similar to delta strains As a result, the rate of hospitalization is increasing in countries around the world.
medical genome center Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital Mahidol University (Center for Medical Genomics) states that in the United States, Omicron BA.5 has a higher prevalence rate than BA.2, while in England, BA.5 has a faster growth rate than BA.2 by 35.14%. Thailand is likely to have a gradual epidemic of BA.5 replacing all strains. Because it can spread faster than BA.2, but the severity and clinical symptoms are likely not different from BA.2.
While the World Health Organization commented BA.5 should be closely monitored as antibodies against the pathogen are less effective. Less responsive to medication But it is inconclusive whether there is an increase in violence or not.
- BA.5 spreads faster than other viruses.
- Dr. Manoon Leechawengwong, a specialist in respiratory systems Vichaiyut Hospital Has posted a message via Facebook Doctor Manoon Lee Chawengwong FC, indicating that the BA.5 subspecies of the COVID-19 virus can spread faster than all original strains of COVID. and other viruses of all kinds in the world compared to other viruses found
One person infected with the Wuhan coronavirus infects 3.3 others.
- One person infected with the Delta virus infects 5.1 others.
- One person infected with COVID-19 subspecies BA.1 infects 9.5 others.
- One person infected with COVID-19 subspecies BA.5 infects 18.6 others.
- One person infected with the chickenpox virus infects 12 others.
- One person infected with the measles virus infects 18 others.
- Thus, the BA.5 subspecies omikron is now spreading faster than any other virus in the world. However, new subspecies of the omikron virus, such as BA.2.75, was recently found in India. because it may spread faster than subspecies BA.5
- While data from the World Health Organization found that The prevalence rate of BA.5 in 83 countries increased from 37% to 52% in the following week, while the prevalence rate for BA.4 rose from 11% to 12%, indicating that BA.4 and BA.5 are prevalent . Not as fast, but BA.5 spreads faster and definitely faster.
- If you have been infected with COVID, you have the right to be re-infected.
People who have previously been infected with COVID-19 Whether it is strain Alpha Delta Omicron BA.1 BA.2 despite the natural immunity. But still can be infected with COVID BA.4 and BA.5 because this strain is resistant to body immunity and dodge the landscape well The existing immunity may not be sufficient to prevent re-infection. Especially in people who haven’t been vaccinated. or incomplete 3 doses of vaccination, it will be a group that is easily infected or has a higher chance of getting COVID again than a group that has been fully vaccinated.
Therefore, the Department of Medical Sciences Therefore, it is advisable to get a booster vaccine as a fourth dose because there is information from abroad that patients of the BA.4 and BA.5 strains, if receiving the booster vaccine, will have less symptoms than those who did not receive the vaccine. This means that the vaccine is also effective in preventing serious illnesses and deaths.
Corresponds to information from Prof. Dr. Yong Phuwarawan, head of the center specialized in virology. Department of Pediatrics Clinic Faculty of Medicine Chulalongkorn University who posted on Facebook fan page that The appearance of COVID-19 is likely to resemble the flu. With mutations that can constantly escape the immune system, we have to vaccinate each year to boost immunity every year.